Saturday, May 10, 2008

The State of American Bookselling, or: Nerds Make Books Look Bad

I walked into the Boulder Barnes & Noble today to be greeted by the embodiment of American bookselling: The Colorado Recorder Orchestra and approximately zero audience members.
Assembled amongst the greeting cards and Moleskine notebooks, just feet from the magazine racks, the Colorado Recorder Orchestra was tooting away with all the halting grace that only a recorder can manage. While the Orchestra was musically more proficient than, say, a 2nd grade music class, I must say that middle-age does not make the recorder, as an instrument, any cooler.

I stifled my guffaws as the Orchestra introduced each "Rennaissance instrument", tootling about to give samples of each instrument's voice. It's moments like those that make me wish I had a video-capable cell phone.
Toot toot!
[publishing]

No comments: