Saturday, August 2, 2008

Downside of news feeds: I read the same news stories 5-6 times

The news sources I check regularly include:
  • NYTimes.com - traditional news media re-engineered for the web
  • NPR's Morning Edition and All Things Considered - radio
  • Lifehacker.com - blog-style media with reviews of web services, software, and offline how-to/DIY ideas and time-savers
  • my local paper's website
  • Google News - the most searched-and-clicked news stories online
  • The Daily Show via Hulu.com
  • Wired - I read the print magazine and avoid the website (though it's a great site).
  • Webware 2.0 - a CNET blog with reviews of web services
  • TechCrunch - blog-style media with hard news about web startups and web-related tech companies and products
Except NPR and Wired, all these sources are online. Except NPR and the Daily Show, all these sources involve reading.

Except for the Times and Google News, I preview each story using an RSS feedreader (called... FeedReader - screenshot) and then click through to stories that catch my eye.

Obviously, Lifehacker, Webware 2.0, TechCrunch, and Wired have similar editorial focus: the web, new media, etc.

However, I find myself part of a news demographic; I will often hear the same news story 4-5 times. I'll first read it online, then hear it on NPR, then around the water cooler, then on the Daily Show, then on NPR again.

Why? Am I well informed? Overly informed? Is there a real demographic involved: 30-something, college educated, middle class, and addicted to broadband? Or is this a sign of our mono-culture or just the web doing what it does best?



No comments: